Gauge: 1865 to 1916, 2ft (600mm); 1916 to 1986, 15in (380mm) and from 1986, 12¼in (311 mm)
Starting life as a 60cm constructor's line, horse drawn passenger cars were soon introduced to carry passengers to the beach and historic ferry crossing to Barmouth. In 1916 the line was purchased and converted to a 15 inch gauge steam railway by W J Bassett-Lowke of Narrow Gauge Railways Ltd. Several changes of ownership followed and there was a brief period of operation as dual gauge 18in and 15in gauge. In 1947 John Wilkins who was also a partner in Servis Washing Machines bought the line and funded the redevelopment of the railway and the purchase of new steam locomotives. The line was sold again in 1984 to the Ellerton family and underwent dramatic changes including construction of a new station at Fairbourne and re-gauging to 12¼ inches. New owners Professor and Mrs Atkinson and Dr and Mrs Melton bought the line in April 1995, financed renewals and new developments, and created a Trust to own the line.