Between February and April 1919, Baguley (Cars) Ltd built six 2ft-gauge petrol locomotives for the Board of Trade to be used on timber camp railways in various parts of the country. The design was by McEwan Pratt and these engines were the first locomotives built by Baguleys. They were given works numbers 774-79.
No. 774 was delivered to Machynlleth in March 1919 and is believed to have worked on the Hendre-Ddu Tramway at Aberangell, Montgomeryshire. It is also possible that this engine worked for a time on a Forestry line at Pennal.
It was re-purchased by Baguley in 1923 and exhibited at the Commercial Motor Show, London in the same year being given a special display livery which it carried until recent times. In 1924 it was shown on the Drewery stand at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley.
On show at the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley
January 1927 saw it sold to the Oakley Slate Quarries in Blaenau Ffestiniog, where it worked until 1939, and was known by the name "Clifford". It was then stored, walled up in a disused slate mill, until 1966 when Rodney Weaver bought it for preservation. It was moved to Brian Goodchild's railway at Leamington Spa in 1968, before being sold to R. P. Morris in 1970, moving to Bampton, Oxfordshire in 1973 and then Longfield, Kent before returning to Wales in 1977. It became part of the Narrow Gauge Railway Centre display at Gloddfa Ganol Mountain Tourist Centre.
When the Gloddfa Ganol collection closed, the engine was sold to the Trust in February 1998 and moved to Tywyn.
As delivered to Tywyn
This locomotive was located at the Amerton Railway in Staffordshire until 21 November 2008 when it was moved to a private location nearby.
Restoration in progress at Amerton July 2005
This historic early internal combustion locomotive is the ancestor of the later steam outline locomotives which Baguleys built after 1929. It is of interest as a loco with Welsh connections, having worked on forestry lines and in the slate industry.