"Nutty" is a 4 wheeled vertical-boiler, chain-driven locomotive, one of three built by The "Sentinel" Waggon Works Ltd. in 1927 (works number 7701) for the London Brick Company at Farcett, Peterborough. it was named NUTTY after the driver and fitter "Nutty" Rowell who kept the loco in service for 30 years.
It was donated to the Museum in 1964. Originally of 2 ft. 11 in. gauge, when it was initially loaned as a working exhibit to the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway it was converted to 2 ft. 6 in. gauge.
In the 1970s it was withdrawn from service at Welshpool and moved to Tywyn where it was kept in the slate built gunpowder store building and brought out on occasion. It was later moved to a temporary building behind the old museum.
In 1991 a lease was agreed with Whipsnade Wild Animal Park for restoration for Great Whipsnade Railway. The loco was dismantled and boiler sent away for inspection at Wilstead. However, work on the locomotive subsequently ceased, and in 1994 the dismantled locomotive was moved to Railworld, Peterborough.
In 1996 it was moved to an engineering works in Peterborough, where re-assembly and cosmetic restoration were undertaken.
On 7 September 2012 NUTTY was moved to the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway where it is on view to the public at Stonehenge Works.
Ready to leave Peterborough
On arrival at Stonehenge Park on the Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway. Photo by John Marriage
Cosmetic restoration in progress in July 2013